The Moreland Truck Company
From “About Times” (newsletter),
The move from farming to industry in Burbank took place in 1917 when city
officials offered Watt Moreland 25 acres of land free of cost, which the city
purchased form Henry Luttge. This land was located on
the corner of San Fernando Blvd.
and Alameda Ave.
Moreland trucks were sold worldwide, but due to wartime
shortages of materials the plant had to close in 1940.
The photograph above shows the Moreland plant, and in the
upper right hand corner you can see Libby Cannery and the Andrew Jergens soap factory.
From A History of Burbank (Burbank Unified School District,
beginning of manufacturing and the passing of the agricultural era took place
in 1917. Ralph O. Church, Burbank's first city
treasurer, read in his morning paper that the Moreland Truck Company was
planning to move its plant from Los Angeles to Alhambra. Church called
one of Burbank's
most enthusiastic boosters, Maurice Spazier, and told
him the news. The two men immediately set out for the Moreland plant in Los Angeles. They found
Watt Moreland, head of the company, ready to draw up an agreement to move to Alhambra. Church and Spazier offered Moreland a suitable site for his factory -
free of any cost to him. Moreland stalled the Alhambra
deal to look at the site in Burbank.
The first site, at Verdugo Avenue and Flower Street, was
unsatisfactory. The offer was quickly changed to a 25-acre tract on the corner
of San Fernando Road
and Alameda Avenue
owned by Henry Luttge, and $25,000 was raised to pay
for the land. Buildings were constructed and the truck company moved in. -
Moreland trucks traveling on the highways of this and many other countries of
the world bore the label "Made in Burbank."
was surrounded by farms as shown in the picture on the following page. On the
side toward the business district there were acres of potatoes growing. Other
farmers raised fruits of various kinds, melons, and alfalfa.
later, after the Moreland Company stopped producing trucks, the building was
used by the Vega Aircraft Corporation. Still later, the Weston Biscuit Company
manufactured cookies at this location.
factory opened shortly after the Moreland Truck plant. The Libby, McNeill and
Libby Canning Company took advantage of the nearness of Burbank to the Southern Pacific Railroad and
the fruits raised in the valley and built a canning
factory on Verdugo
Avenue where the street crossed the railroad.
Moreland truck images from
Return to Burbankia